This past weekend I went to Lollapalooza! It was my first time going and I had an amazing time!!! My friends and I went all three days and even toughed it out in the rain.
Preparing for the weather, heat, and unexpected can be tricky when going to any music festival. Being a dietitian, the first thing on my mind was to pack food and water. The problem with Lollapalooza and other music festivals is that you are not allowed to take in food; however, we were allowed up to two sealed water bottles. The first day I was not successful at getting in my snacks, but by day two it was all good (snuck them in).
1) Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches don’t keep well at music festivals.
2) You really only need one water bottle when there are filling stations.
The nutrition must-have list:
1) WATER! Bring 1-2 water bottles with you and drink some every 15-20 minutes. If you think you are going to be really thirsty check and see if the festival has a Camelbak refilling station. Lollapalooza had one and there were numerous people wearing them.
2) Protein bars or granola bars. Choose one with 2 grams of fiber or more to stay fuller for longer.
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
4) Nuts and/or seeds. They travel well and make for a great snack.
5) Gatorade or G2. Good for replenishing electrolytes in extreme heat; however, you may not be allowed to take this in.
The you should probably also bring this must-have list:
2) Bug spray, Bug Off Wipes, and Benadryl. Got 12 mosquito bites.
3) Band-aids and Neosporin. I brought both and needed both!
4) Blanket. This one is multi purpose. I used it for a picnic, as a towel, and as a cape.
5) Poncho. Had one the two days it didn’t rain, but didn’t take it the day it did. #FAIL