There is something to look forward to during the winter months, besides Spring (haha) and it is orange season! The peak season for oranges are the months of December through April. This wonderful fruit can be used in so many different ways including: salads, savory dishes, drinks, desserts, or a portable snack.
Vitamin C is found in oranges and although it won’t prevent you from getting a cold it may help shorten them! Vitamin C is also found in lemons, limes, grapefruit, cantaloupes, mangoes, papayas, bean sprouts, green peppers, plantains, and broccoli. Grab an orange and let vitamin C play a part in your body’s overall health.
Vitamin C plays a role in so many wonderful functions within your body including:
- Helps with the formation of collagen in the body and that holds the your cells together.
- Prevents bleeding gums and bruising.
- Helps heal wounds, cuts, and burns.
- Aids in the absorption of iron.
- Is an antioxidant that helps to reduce free radicals in the body that cause tissue damage. Therfore, it may help prevent some cancers.
What is your favorite way to eat an orange?
Photo courtesy of Leo Druker.