I just got back from a wonderful family vacation in Gatlinburg, TN with my dad’s side of the family. We stayed in a beautiful wood cabin for seven days. The trip was packed with white water rafting, mini golf, zip lining, and go-carting!
To answer the question, “can you eat healthy on vacation?” Yes, you can! I think it is helpful to follow these five tips to keep you on the healthy eating track.
1) Be realistic. It is vacation…so relax not every meal and snack would be what you would eat at home!
2) Take a multivitamin. You probably will not be eating a balanced meal at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Taking a basic multivitamin daily can help ensure that your body gets adequate amounts of needed vitamin and minerals. This is not a get out of jail free card though, it is still important to try to and eat balanced meals!
3) Eat Fiber. Some individuals have a hard time going to the bathroom on vacation, because the foods they consume may be a lot different then what they are used to. Fiber will help keep you regular on vacation…so get some and get going (pun intended).
4) Watch your portions. Yes, there may be many extra yummy foods on the table that you want to sample but watching your portion sizes will help keep your waistline in check during your trip. Remember, to use your palm when trying to regulate lean pieces of meat. If the protein fits in your palm you are good to go…if it creeps into your fingers cut that sucker down! Also, you can use your fist as a guide for pasta, rice or beans. One fist of any of these equals three servings.
5) Don’t leave out the veggies. Vegetables are great snacks! If you put a veggie tray on the table…”people will come.” Also, try and fill half your plate with veggies for lunch and dinner. This will provide you with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and fill you up so you will be less likely to overeat.
Do you have any tricks for eating healthy on vacation?