I often hear my friends say, “Wow, I love that this place is a Bring Your Own Booze (BYOB) restaurant,” “Can’t we go to a place that is BYOB,” or “We need to do a BYOB on sushi night.” It is funny how my friends seek out places with this option, because they believe it makes the night easier and cheaper. So, I thought why not use Bring Your Own Snacks (BYOS) acronym with my clients to make their snack planning easier and cheaper also.
How many times have you found yourself driving, working, shopping, exercising, etc. without a healthy snack within arms reach? If your goal is to maintain your weight or even lose weight learning how to apply the BYOS acronym to your lifestyle is a must! It is so much harder to practice a healthy lifestyle if you don’t take control of your snacks.
The key to having control over your daily intake all comes down to one word – PREPARATION! If you don’t prepare your snacks ahead of time, you may not be successful at getting them in. Small snacks or meals every two to three hours will keep your energy level up, keep your metabolism (energy burning system) on track, and will for some of you (including me) keep you from being a grouch. If you want to learn more about how to plan your healthy snacks ahead of time, check out my past blog post “Carrots and Commutes.”
Here are just a few great BYOS examples:
- Small whole fruit (banana, peach, orange, apple, etc.)
- Three cups of air popped popcorn
- Multi-color vegetable snack bag (including cherry tomatoes, carrots, sugar snap peas, and yellow pepper strips)
- Three to four whole wheat crackers and one skim milk cheese stick
- One tablespoon of peanut butter with a small apple (size of your fist)
- Mini peanut butter sandwich (1 slice whole wheat bread, one tablespoon of peanut butter, and one to two teaspoons of jam (optional)
- Tortilla, hummus, and veggie wrap (6-inch whole wheat tortilla, one to two tablespoons of hummus, and add your favorite vegetables)
- Trail Mix (¼ cup of raisins, ¼ cup of unsalted almonds, ¼ cup of granola)
- Mini parfait: One single serving (6-8 oz.) of Greek yogurt with ½ cup of your favorite fruit
- Veggies and salsa (dip your favorite vegetables in salsa to add a little zing)
Now, that you have a few snack ideas it is time to make your car, office, home, gym, and shopping center a BYOS location!