Navigating through a grocery store can be a challenge, especially if you are newly diagnosed with diabetes and/or are trying to start a new healthy eating plan. Understanding food labels, knowing what foods to purchase, and how to plan healthy meals may feel like road blocks on your path to the grocery store checkout counter without a solid base of diabetes nutrition therapy at your disposal. To help breakdown this barrier, Albertson’s Pharmacies is offering FREE Eating Healthy with Diabetes™ grocery store tours nationwide beginning in March. Each tour will be led by both a Pharmacist and a local Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) to answer all of your questions.
Who should attend:
- Those diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes
- Family members with loved ones that are diagnosed with pre-diabetes or diabetes
- Individuals who have a family history of diabetes and that are interested in learning healthy tips to prevent this disease from occurring
- Health professionals interested in learning more about Eating Healthy with Diabetes™
Looking Beyond the Grocery Store Perimeter:
The old school way of giving store tours just included tidbits on how to shop the perimeter of a grocery store. These FREE Eating Healthy with Diabetes™ grocery store tours go well beyond this basic information. First, each tour will be led by both a Pharmacist and a local Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) to answer all of your questions. Second, each sixty minute tour is packed with the following helpful information:
- What type of foods effect your blood sugar
- When is the right time to consume meals and snacks
- The importance of meal planning and how to be successful at it
- Understanding how to read a label
- What counts as one carbohydrate portion
- How to grocery shop effectively
How Do I Register?
I am happily helping with these FREE tours and will be giving one at Jewel Osco on Tuesday, March 1st at 6 PM. For a list of available tours in your area, and to register, please see the information below or call 1-877-728-6655.
- Click here to find your desired diabetes store tour location.
- Click on the grocery store name to register.
- Enter the zip code for the tour you want to schedule
- Register for the free tour.
Shhh…Here is a sneak peak at some helpful tips from the tour!
- Don’t skip meals. The best way to keep your blood sugars stable is to consume a consistent amount of carbohydrates throughout (every 2-4 hours).
- Following a meal and snack schedule is very beneficial for those individuals that are on certain medications and/or are taking insulin.
- Find an expert! Working with a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist is a great way to make sure you are protecting your body and managing your diabetes in an effective and safe manor .
- Check those blood sugars! How are you going to know if your car (your body) needs gas if you haven’t check the gas gauge (your glucose)?
I hope to see you on March 1st!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by One Touch as part of their nationwide Eating Healthy With Diabetes campaign, all opinions are my own.